June 30, 2018 - July 26, 2018
In support of Natisa Jones 2018 solo exhibition by Komunitas Salihara we present, GROTESK, curated by Asikin Hasan. Natisa (Jakarta, 1989) graduated with a degree in Fine Art from Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), Australia. She currently travels between Bali and Amsterdam, where she spends most of her time creating artworks. As one of the youngest artists ever invited for a solo exhibition by Komunitas Salihara, Natisa follows in the exhibition record of artists such as Eko Nugroho, Hanafi, Nasirun, and S. Teddy to mention a few.
GROTESK will be open to the public on Saturday, 30 June 2018, 19:00 WIB in
Galeri Salihara located in Jl. Salihara No. 16, Pasar Minggu.
The show will run until 26 July 2018.
Tue – Sun | 11:00 – 20.00 (Close on public holidays)
Jalan Suryo #49
ARTIST STATEMENT 2018
It is the ambiguous nature of attempting to pinpoint something, without ever fully knowing what it is exactly I am trying to pinpoint. Nevertheless, these trials bring me closer to something I am not entirely sure of and all I have to bring home, is a sense of momentary relief.
1. Sometimes this body isn’t real. So I paint curves, to empathize with its shape and understand how it feels.
2. Sometimes these thoughts are habits. So I record them, in an attempt to break down forms and patterns.
3. Sometimes this ego is overwhelming. So I write down what it has to say; in an attempt to detach and filter what needs mending on a humbler day.
4. Sometimes this love is bodiless. So I carve out structures – to see what it could look like.
5. Sometimes these beliefs aren’t tangible. So I draw a man, to remind myself that he is just a man.